About Me

My photo
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Astronomy themes, landscapes and public art are some of the targets of my work. These are the best of times as we stand on the threshold of unprecedented discovery in space. As a space artist, I am grateful for and inspired by the amazing images of faraway places that the great telescopes of our generation have given us. As a plein air painter, I am inspired to quickly capture light, color and movement with the focus on our rapidly changing environment. As an artist within the live public art venue I am inspired by the opportunity for creativity, spontaneity and exchange.

3/28/13

Gallery 26 / Tim Malles - Spaced Out / 1/6-2/9, 2013

Gallery 26 in Melrose, FL gave me awesome venue for my show titled Spaced Out!  I displayed more than 40 pieces in what was originally and historically the large chapel of a church.  A wonderfully appropriate venue for this exhibit with religious themes. The Keyhole Project, which has been exhibited in various forms in many venues finally got the showcase that it deserved.  All the works were displayed comfortably spaced and at eye level.  Harimandir Khalsa did a fantastic job of hanging the show.  Betty Bennett, the gallery director, and all the gallery artists gave me two awesome and very well attended receptions. I was pleasantly pleased that it was well received by a mostly brand new and enthusiastic audience exposed to the work for the first time.  Such a broad range of comments I get about this work and that is one of the key components of the project.

At the reception on Jan 13, on a Sunday afternoon, Harimandir played her gong along with other musicians playing keyboard and percussion.  The music was spacey and suited the theme and set the mood perfectly.

The night reception on Feb 1 was part of ArtWalk Melrose and we had a great crowd.  I set up my telescope, an 8" reflector, at the main entrance to the gallery and turned visitors on to views of Jupiter, the Great Nebula and Rigel, a double star.