About Me

My photo
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Astronomy themes, landscapes and public art are some of the targets of my work. These are the best of times as we stand on the threshold of unprecedented discovery in space. As a space artist, I am grateful for and inspired by the amazing images of faraway places that the great telescopes of our generation have given us. As a plein air painter, I am inspired to quickly capture light, color and movement with the focus on our rapidly changing environment. As an artist within the live public art venue I am inspired by the opportunity for creativity, spontaneity and exchange.

12/3/12

Starry Night 2012 @ The Florida Museum

Starry Night, Gainesville's biggest star party and annual showcase of astronomy, was a huge success again this year!  The event, hosted by the Florida Museum of Natural History, had the museum and gardens full of etertaining and educating astronomy exhibits provided by the University of Florida, Sante Fe College and Kika Silva Pla Planetarium.  The Alachua Astonomy Club providing live telescope viewing.  I had my space art exhibit set up with my latest works including a new painting from the Keyhole Project. This is my 5th year doing the event and the museum had me inside, front and center in the museum main entrance.

This artist was happy to have such good exposure for my works!  The official attendance for the evening was 1,530 - mostly students, families with children, date nighters and of course, astronomy buffs of all ages.  Many gave me nice compliments and good feedback about my work.  It is always easy to tell who the artists are.  They tend to linger and project sensitivity, paying extra close attention to what your process might be, asking questions and making connections.  I'm happy to inspire other artists to take notice of the beauty and infinite possibilities that exist in the cosmos.

In years past, I've volunteered with our telescope at many astronomy public outreach events.  Folks line up and wait their turn to peer through the eyepiece and have their retinas tickled by live photons travelling from across the universe.  This very simple act puts them immediately on a rocketship, peering through a porthole at the craters on the Moon, approaching the planet Jupiter or Saturn or hovering over a star cluster that looks like so many gems sprikled across black velvet.  The responses are varied, but none better than the plain simple loud "WOW!"  So nice to hear that one when someone looks at my art too.  It confirms that I'm doing good things and makes it all worthwhile.