About Me

My photo
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Astronomy themes, landscapes and public art are some of the targets of my work. These are the best of times as we stand on the threshold of unprecedented discovery in space. As a space artist, I am grateful for and inspired by the amazing images of faraway places that the great telescopes of our generation have given us. As a plein air painter, I am inspired to quickly capture light, color and movement with the focus on our rapidly changing environment. As an artist within the live public art venue I am inspired by the opportunity for creativity, spontaneity and exchange.

10/6/14

"Flashback in 3D!" Aug - Dec 2014

America's First 3D Fluorescent Museum in Newberry, FL has inspired area artists to explore the C3D (or Chroma-depth 3D) method of painting. Artist Robert Roberg established the museum less than a year ago on the main strip of the small North Florida town, on SR 26 and the railroad tracks, located about 20 miles west of Gainesville. There are 2 galleries that are lit entirely by black lights. You purchase the C3D glasses at the museum. It is fun to walk through first and enjoy the fluorescent art in 2D and then use the glasses to see everything with an added dimension in 3D.

I took Robert's introductory workshop and then did 12 fluorescent 3D paintings that are hanging in the current show at the museum. I tried to explore different themes that would work well in 3D, such as an underwater scene, and astronomy themes. The museum is filled with Roberg's art, as well as works by artists from all over the world and the work of Robert's students. We had a big reception that was on my 60th birthday and there were lots of surprises - my family from Miami, Orlando, Winter Park and Chiefland came to roast and toast me! Everyone sang happy birthday and had a fun time at the museum. It really was a flashback for so many of us!

Robert is having a tough go of it, attempting to establish and sustain this unique and far-out museum in a tough market and in a remote location. But anyone who goes there, no matter who they are, will enjoy the experience. I learned some things that immediately gave a new dimension and value to my work. Some paintings that I did ten years ago have an amazing 3D quality when viewed with the C3D glasses. It doesn't have to be special paint, it was just that the colors happened to be layered a certain way. I'm not a big fan of the fluorescent paints because they are hard to work with. I prefer to incorporate these techniques into some of my oil painting themes now because the 3D effect has a softer, deeper, layered and ethereal feel.