About Me

My photo
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Astronomy themes, landscapes and public art are some of the targets of my work. These are the best of times as we stand on the threshold of unprecedented discovery in space. As a space artist, I am grateful for and inspired by the amazing images of faraway places that the great telescopes of our generation have given us. As a plein air painter, I am inspired to quickly capture light, color and movement with the focus on our rapidly changing environment. As an artist within the live public art venue I am inspired by the opportunity for creativity, spontaneity and exchange.

5/28/12

2012 Winter Park Paint Out

I am so very grateful to have experienced this amazing marathon and celebration of plein air painting!  The Winter Park Paint Out, a.k.a., "Halapaloosa" (after Hal Stringer, who conceived, promotes and co-directs the event), had 25 artists painting for an entire week the enchanting gardens of the Polsek Museum, the lakeside vistas and charming street scenes of Winter Park, Florida.   The event is a major annual fundraiser for the Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Gardens.  The museum's mission is to showcase and promote the international status and artworks of Albin Polasek.  How inspiring it was to work in the Master's home and gardens, to feel his presence and be moved by his spirit!

I had the opportunity to give a mini lecture/demo Painting the Nocturne.  Around a dozen students who were all enthusiastic and aspiring artists themselves attended.  I talked about what inspires me to paint the nocturne and the many methods I use.  I also did a demo painting that showed how to convert sunlight to moonlight and create a night painting in broad daylight.  I also shared some of my lifetime of knowledge and experience observing the night sky as an amateur astronomer. On Tuesday evening, we were invited to do some nocturne painting at a large private property on a lake.  The owner gave us a tour on his golf cart then we decided to paint the horse barn and out buildings that were sitting under a beautiful crescent moon alongside the Evening Star, brightly shining Venus.  It was interesting to see the various styles and approaches to this type of painting!  I donned my headlamp. Nicholay Mikushkin held his flashlight in one hand and his brush in the other, boldly painting away.  Hiu Lai Chong sat in her car with the interior light on, her painting propped on the dashboard and painted the scene viewed through the windshield!  On Wednesday, we artists were guests at the Hillstone Restaurant where we painted the sunset.  I love these opportunities for spontaneity, creativity and exchange within the live public art venue.  I painted into the light, and my painting Flash, Sparkle and Pop! sold wet off the easel.

For me the paint outs are more than just a marathon opportunity for painting and selling within our individual games. They are an opportunity to work with and learn from each and every artist participant. Everyone has something to teach each of us, that is if we don't let our egos get in the way!  Artist Morgan Samuel Price painted a gorgeous interior in Albin Polasek's studio. She also gave a wonderful demo / lecture and offered her audience a lot to see and think about. She gave us two mantras - make interesting shapes, artists are forever searching to make increasingly interesting shapes with brushes, knives and other methods in their work. The other - create a trap for the viewer and provide no escapes! I am so grateful to have worked with and learned from such a wonderful and talented group of artists. Everyone was so welcoming, kind, and generous to me!

My sister Evie hosted me during the week.  She works at the Winter Park Library, just a block from the Polasek Museum, and brought me lunches while I was working there.  Her home in Altamonte Springs is an oasis in the city, a sanctuary of peace and quiet, filled with books and my paintings that she has so generously bought.  Vincent had his brother Theo and I have my sister, Evie, who I am so grateful to for all the encouragement and support over all the years.  It was Evie who took me to the Polasek many years ago.  I immediately fell in love with the place, the artist and his works.  Treat yourself to a visit and discover the Polasek Musem and Gardens for yourself!

I am very  thankful for everyone at the museum, all the staff and volunteers who meticulously planned and executed to the highest and most generous level this incredible stage to showcase the artists and their works in the museum.  The Saturday grand finale of the Garden Party at the Polasek was incredible!   Of all the plein air events that I have participated in, this one was the very best in every way.  I have never felt more appreciated and celebrated as an artist in my entire life!