About Me

My photo
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Astronomy themes, landscapes and public art are some of the targets of my work. These are the best of times as we stand on the threshold of unprecedented discovery in space. As a space artist, I am grateful for and inspired by the amazing images of faraway places that the great telescopes of our generation have given us. As a plein air painter, I am inspired to quickly capture light, color and movement with the focus on our rapidly changing environment. As an artist within the live public art venue I am inspired by the opportunity for creativity, spontaneity and exchange.

4/12/12

2012 Jacksonville Arboretum and Gardens Invitational Paint Out / Mar 28 - 31

This wonderful event, only in its second year, successfully raises the bar on what a paint out can be.  Meticulously planned for over a year then executed by an army of volunteers, A Brush With Nature offers the artist every opportunity to create their best work.  The 3 day event featured 37 artists creating live works in the varied ecosystems of the 120 acre nature park.  As the only artist from Gainesville, I felt honored to be a part of it.  I really felt a special connection with the gardens this year and I think it showed in my work.  Of the first to arrive and last to leave each day, I gave everything I had to my paintings.  For the most part, the weather was very good but on Saturday, our last painting day, it turned rainy and then worsened.  All the good natured artists headed to the tents and found little spots here and there to set up and continue working!  The event culminated with a very swanky fete at Gallery 'L' at the Wells Fargo Center.  Many thanks to Mindy Hawkins and all the wonderful volunteers and to Daniel Fuchs and Lauren Domene for their warm hospitality.






Palm Groove (b&w) oil on wood 14 x 11 Copyright 2012 Tim Malles